Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Maze Runner - Epilogue


EPILOGUE

WICKED Memorandum, Date 232.1.27, Time 22:45
TO: My Associates
FROM: Ava Paige, Chancelor
RE: THOUGHTS ON MAZE TRIALS, Group A

By any reckoning, I think we’d all agree that the Trials were a success. Twenty survivors, all
well qualified for our planned endeavor. The responses to the Variables were satisfactory and
encouraging. The boy’s murder and the “rescue” proved to be a valuable finale. We needed to
shock their systems, see their responses. Honestly, I’m amazed that in the end, despite
everything, we were able to collect such a large population of kids that just never gave up.
Oddly enough, seeing them this way, thinking all is well, has been the hardest thing for me to
observe. But there’s no time for regret. For the good of our people, we will move forward.
I know I have my own feelings as to who should be chosen as the leader, but I’ll refrain from
saying at this time so as not to influence any decisions. But to me, it’s an obvious choice.
We are all well aware of what’s at stake. I, for one, am encouraged. Remember what the girl
wrote on her arm before losing her memory? The one thing she chose to clasp on to? WICKED is
good.
The subjects will eventually recall and understand the purpose of the hard things we have done
and plan to do to them. The mission of WICKED is to serve and preserve humanity, no matter
the cost. We are, indeed, “good.”
Please respond with your own reactions. The subjects will be allowed one full night’s sleep
before Stage 2 implementation. At this time, let’s allow ourselves to feel hopeful.
Group B’s trial results were also most extraordinary. I need time to process the data, but we
can touch on it in the morning.
Until tomorrow, then.
END OF BOOK ONE

12 comments: